Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Head over heels with Triangle

After practising yoga asanas (exercises) by 8 years I have recently discovered how good a triangle pose can feel. My new love for this pose has urged me to write a post for you guys letting you know why all of a sudden I can’t get enough of Trikonasana, the Triangle Pose.

For years I was doing this pose all wrong and forcing myself too far into this stretch just to look ‘right’ or ‘good’ at it. Now I realise how much of an injustice I was doing myself. The key to a great and comfortable stretch in the Triangle is to emphasise length and space in your body. Keep both sides of your torso long, swing the hips to one side and reach out to the other, keeping the upper rib cage tucked into the spine. When I focus on these things the stretch feels great. I am not worried about reaching right down to my bottom foot and I am definitely not leaning forward. I feel that as soon as I start to lean forward I loose the great stretch that I could be getting.

Triangle Pose not only increases flexibility in the legs, hips and spine but also increases mobility through the lower spine. You can feel an amazing stretch from the hip to the ribcage. It is great to ease backache and keep the spine supple.

Find a step by step guide with pictures on the Australian School of Yoga and Meditation website showing how you too can get into a great Triangle Pose. If you have any questions or queries about the pose ask one of our experienced teachers at your next class or you can email me @ amara@asm.org.au. Don’t forget to read the cautions before you try the pose.

Best of luck,

Amara

Instructor

Australian School of Meditation and Yoga