Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Another successful Clean Up Australia Day!


In the mid morning sun we gathered to contribute our part in keeping our beautiful country clean and green. On behalf of Clean Up Australia and the Australian School of Meditation and Yoga I would like to thank all the volunteers who gave up their Sunday morning to lend a helping hand.

I remember back to when I did my first Clean Up Australia Day, when I was 7, around the Tallebudgera Creek. This year I was fortunate enough to be supervising the Nobby Beach Clean Up Site. Having only registered the site 2 weeks ago I honestly thought that I would be one of only a few people at our site. I was over the moon when people kept on rolling up to help out. With 23 online registrations and 23 registrations on the day, I was very excited to see everyone’s community spirit.

We cleaned along the Nobby/Miami Beach foreshore and coast, Lions Head Park and the bushland edging on Miami State High School. In total we collected 3 ½ wheelie bins full of rubbish. Our most interesting and unique finds that I thought would be worth sharing with you were; a Buddha with only half a head, a one wheeled pink girls bicycle (later on we found the other wheel) and a wheelless skateboard. The amount of empty bottles, cans and cigarette butts that we found was a shock to everyone. Members of the public joined in helping us to pick up rubbish as they saw us passing by with our Clean Up Australia Day bags.

After all the hard work and heat we headed back to the studio and had some much needed refreshments. Everyone received a certificate of appreciation from Clean Up Australia for their participation. All in all in was a very successful morning and yes, this little part of Australia is a little cleaner because of it! Why not try to make everyday a Clean Up Australia Day? It doesn’t take much effort to pick up some litter when you see it, or at the least put your own rubbish in the bin.


Here's to keeping Australia clean and green!


Amara